The Department of Conservation is seeking input from the community on proposed parking restrictions in Whakapapa Village.
Plans include implementing time restrictions ranging from 15 to 180 minutes at various locations in and around the Village, along with no parking zones along Ngauruhoe Place and along the upper end of SH48, before Bruce Road.
According to DOC, the restrictions aim to address issues with congestion during winter and summer at Whakapapa Village, but will still allow visitors enough time to complete walks and enjoy the amenities in the area.
DOS says the proposed restrictions will:
- Provide time for short visits to the visitor information centre
- Direct tour buses, campervans and school buses to the bus park
- Provide some overnight parking for multi-day hikers
- Enable snow clearing and reduce freedom campervans
- Support access for emergency services.
Submissions on the proposal close on 19 May 2017, and DOC plans to implement the final agreed parking restrictions by 31 May 2017.
For maps of the proposed restrictions and details on how to submit your feedback visit: http://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/all-consultations/2017/parking-restrictions-in-whakapapa-village/